IPv4 sunset date set for 2019-12-31

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Oct 22 02:29:45 UTC 2010

On 10/21/2010 9:09 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> Either way, it's an interesting time to be an edge operator that worries about CPE stuff.  those that think mostly about core this is a big fat *yawn* imho.  Expect application developers to face some interesting challenges.  me?  I'm waiting until I see the "NOW WITH IPv6" sticker on things at the store.

1. Core routing/BGP check
2. Servers check
3. load balancers? oops, semi-check
4. edge check
5. Telco maintained CPE check (There's a reason we didn't do pppoe), for
others, fail
6. Customer provided CPE/routers/etc fail

It took off the shelf CPEs some time to get it right at autodetecting
and handling the numerous Provider Edge setups. v6 actually adds a whole
new arsenal of setups that can exist at the Provider Edge. People are
crazy if they think the provider will adjust to a billion different
setups. The cheap routers have a long ways to go to support this new
variety of setups.

I'm personally partial to DHCPv6 TA addressing (SLAAC at provider edge
is cool, but there are too many issues with it, especially when trying
to track users) with 86400 preferred and 172800 valid and NAK the
renewal, combined with DHCPv6-PD with 86400 preferred and 172800 valid
and NAK the renewal. This gives a 24 hour prefix rotation for new
connections and a 24 hour hold time for old connections. Combined with
privacy extensions, it should pollute geo IP databases with horribly
wrong information and make it more difficult for certain types of
malicious network attacks. :)

Jack