Re: Why ULA: low collision chance (Was: IPv6 fc00::/7 — Unique local addresses)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 22 01:46:58 UTC 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 3:52 PM, Joe Hamelin wrote:

> Ray said: ".. But then why wouldn't you just ask for a GUA at that point."
>
> What's the cost for a /48 GUA from ARIN these days?  Why pay for
> something that you're not going to "use"?

$1250 initial and $100/year thereafter. If you have any other end-user
resources, it's part of the same $100/year you're already paying, so,
it might be effectively free after the initial payment.

Assuming you use it for 10 years, that amortizes out to $125/year.

I don't know if there are still discounts on end-user assignments or
not. I know that when I got mine, there was a partial fee waiver
program in effect and I paid quite a bit less than $1250.

> I agree with you but as long as the RIRs charge for integers people
> will make up their own if they can find a way.

The RIRs don't charge for integers. The RIRs charge for making
globally guaranteed unique registrations of integers and
maintaining the associated records in several databases.

> If a small shop guy is looking at ether paying for GUA space or
> affording a more expensive switch that will do SNMP, he's going to get
> the switch.

There are places to get legitimate GUA space other than RIRs.

Some of them are free.

Owen (KB6MER, btw)