Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Oct 21 23:57:59 UTC 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 8:26 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> On 10/21/2010 11:08 AM, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>>> On 2010-10-21 16:59, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>>> Are IPv6 connected machines unable to access IPv4 addresses?
>>
>> Unless you put a application/protocol translation in the middle IPv6
>> can't talk to IPv4. yahoo("IVI","Ecdysis NAT64") for two possibilities
>> one have for that, oh and yahoo("IPv6Gate") for a ready-to-use HTTP
>> specific one.
>>
>> But if you didn't know that fact, you might want to invest in a proper
>> book about IPv6 and read up quite a bit. As this is NANOG, a good
>> operational book is "Running IPv6".
>>

> Thank you for the book recommendation; however, I was trying to get an
> admission that any IPv6-connected end users or corporate connections,
> will be accessing IPv4-only resources for a long time to come, i.e.
> years and years.
>
> And that the responsibility for IPv6 to v4 connection won't have to be
> handled by my client with a few racks.

Noone can confirm that for you because it is largely untrue.

IPv6-connected end users MAY have some ability to reach your IPv4-only
site. This will be through something that looks like a LSN device at best
so you won't have working things like:

	Geolocation
	UPNP
	reverse connection mapping
	Most forms of NAT-T
	Most forms of P2P
	Logs that represent unique IP addresses visiting your site in a
		meaningful manner.
	etc.

Owen