Re: IPv6 fc00::/7 — Unique local addresses

Ben Jencks ben at bjencks.net
Thu Oct 21 17:39:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 04:46, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2010, at 10:28 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>> If your big enough to get your own GUA and have the dollars to get
>> it routed then do that.  If you are forced to use PA (think home
>> networks) then having a ULA prefix as well is a good thing.
>>
> home network: 2620:0:930::/48
>
> Try again.

How do you justify that to ARIN? My reading of the NRPM 6.5.8
("qualify for an IPv4 assignment or allocation from ARIN under the
IPv4 policy currently in effect") and 4.3 (v4 /24 minimum for
multihoming, 50% utilization) is that you need at least 128 devices to
get a multihoming allocation. That's quite a home network you have.

In a related vein, I'm looking at IPv6-numbering a non-connected
private network of a few hundred hosts, and while a GUA assignment
would be ideal, it looks like I need at least 2048 (50% of a v4 /20)
devices to qualify for a non-multihomed v6 assignment. Am I missing
something?

-Ben