Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Oct 21 15:26:55 UTC 2010

On 10/21/2010 11:08 AM, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>> On 2010-10-21 16:59, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>> Are IPv6 connected machines unable to access IPv4 addresses?
>
> Unless you put a application/protocol translation in the middle IPv6
> can't talk to IPv4. yahoo("IVI","Ecdysis NAT64") for two possibilities
> one have for that, oh and yahoo("IPv6Gate") for a ready-to-use HTTP
> specific one.
>
> But if you didn't know that fact, you might want to invest in a proper
> book about IPv6 and read up quite a bit. As this is NANOG, a good
> operational book is "Running IPv6".

Thank you for the book recommendation; however, I was trying to get an
admission that any IPv6-connected end users or corporate connections,
will be accessing IPv4-only resources for a long time to come, i.e.
years and years.

And that the responsibility for IPv6 to v4 connection won't have to be
handled by my client with a few racks.

Cordially

Patrick