IPv6 fc00::/7 ? Unique local addresses

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Thu Oct 21 05:17:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:44:40 +0800
Adrian Chadd <adrian at creative.net.au> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010, Graham Beneke wrote:
>
> > I've seen this too. Once again small providers who pretty quickly get
> > caught out by collisions.
> >
> > The difference is that ULA could take years or even decades to catch
> > someone out with a collision. By then we'll have a huge mess.
>
> You assume that people simply select ULA prefixes randomly and don't
> start doing linear allocations from the beginning of the ULA range.

Any time there is a parameter that can be configured, there is a
possibility that people will misconfigure it. The only way to
completely prevent that being a possibility is to eliminate the
parameter. We can prevent people from getting addressing wrong by not
putting addresses in the IP header - but I, and I suspect most people,
would prefer their computers not to be a dumb terminal connected to a
mainframe. Or we can make the network robust against misconfiguration,
and put in place things like BCP38.

This is all starting to sound a bit like Chicken Little.

Regards,
Mark.