IPv6 fc00::/7 — Unique local addresses

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Thu Oct 21 04:41:13 UTC 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:12:11 -0700
"George Bonser" <gbonser at seven.com> wrote:

> > * Stream Control Transport Protocol, first spec'd in 2000 (couldn't
> >   be deployed widely in IPv4 because of NATs)
>
> I would dearly love to see SCTP take off.  There are so many great potential applications for that protocol that it can boggle.  Any type of connection between two things that might have several different kinds of data going back and forth at the same time could greatly benefit.

I agree. One application I'd though of was end-to-end Instant
Messaging, where, when you wish to transfer a file to the other
participant, a new SCTP stream is created for the file transfer within
the existing SCTP connection. Not all that novel, but something that
would be much easier to do with SCTP than TCP.

Regards,
Mark.