IPv6 fc00::/7 — Unique local addresses

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Thu Oct 21 04:38:33 UTC 2010

On 21/10/2010 03:49, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> On 10/20/2010 5:51 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>> Part 2 will be when the first provider accepts a large sum of money to
>> route it within their public network between multiple sites owned by
>> the same customer.
>
> Is this happening now with RFC 1918 addresses and IPv4?

I have seen this in some small providers. Doesn't last long since the
chance of collision is high. It then becomes a VPN.

>> Part 3 will be when that same provider (or some other provider in the
>> same boat) takes the next step and starts trading routes of ULA space
>> with other provider(s).
>
> Is this happening now with RFC 1918 addresses and IPv4?

I've seen this too. Once again small providers who pretty quickly get
caught out by collisions.

The difference is that ULA could take years or even decades to catch
someone out with a collision. By then we'll have a huge mess.

--
Graham Beneke