ARIN recognizes Interop for return of more than 99% of 45/8 address block

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Oct 20 16:19:13 UTC 2010

On Oct 20, 2010, at 12:04 PM, Ernie Rubi wrote:

> I don't think ARIN (or any other RIR) wants people to think this way.

Ernie - ARIN doesn't have a view on how people should think.  It
does have an interest in making sure that number resources policies
that are adopted by community are followed.

> STLS to me is kind of double speak, ARIN says: "this isn't a capital resource", but yet if you go through us and list your 'unused' blocks in this space, we don't care what financial transaction happens behind the scenes.
>
> Maybe John can shed more light on this.

Specified Transfer Listing Service (STLS) is a service, not
a policy.  You don't need to use the STLS to make use of the
Specified Transfer policy.

The Specified Transfer policy lets parties to free up address
space (that might not otherwise be available) and then arrange
transfer to another party. Given that a lot of IPv4 address
space may be readily available given a little work to renumber,
it was felt to be a reasonable compromise in encouraging better
utilization once we've run out of the IP4 free pool.  Parties
which receive under the specified transfer policy still must meet
all of the normal address allocation requirements, including
documented need.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO