ARIN recognizes Interop for return of more than 99% of 45/8 address block

Ernie Rubi ernesto at cs.fiu.edu
Wed Oct 20 16:04:29 UTC 2010

I don't think ARIN (or any other RIR) wants people to think this way.

Appreciation and value are words that most folks at ICANN don't want network engineers to associate with IP addresses.

"The real value is in routing"; is the party line.

STLS to me is kind of double speak, ARIN says: "this isn't a capital resource", but yet if you go through us and list your 'unused' blocks in this space, we don't care what financial transaction happens behind the scenes.

Maybe John can shed more light on this.

For some background, go over to the Internet-history mailing list, which included a very lively discussion of "ownership interest" in IP addresses.

Ernie