ARIN recognizes Interop for return of more than 99% of 45/8 address block

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Oct 20 16:03:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, Joel Esler wrote:

> Now, if we could get everyone that has these gigantic /8's (or multiple
> of them) that aren't using them to give some back, that'd be great.
>
> Thank you interop for setting the example.

Sure, it would be a nice gesture if MIT/HP/Ford/Xerox/Halliburton/etc gave
back the chunks of the /8s they weren't using, but it wouldn't
significantly affect when the IPv4 well runs dry.  Also, without knowing
how those organizations have used the space internally, such an
altruistic gesture could also come at the cost of having to de-aggregate
a bunch of advertisements in BGP.

The law of diminishing returns comes into play.
jms