Only 5x IPv4 ... WRONG! :)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Oct 20 09:49:49 UTC 2010

On Oct 20, 2010, at 2:09 AM, George Bonser wrote:

> [...]
I'm not sure why you assume that network operators don't have hundreds
or thousands of servers, special purpose appliances, software, etc.
of different vendors, ages, and complexity.

Yes, it's easier to dual-stack the backbone of an ISP than the entire
enterprise of an ISP. That's no surprise since dual-stacking the backbone
of an enterprise would be easier than dual-stacking the entire enterprise
as well.

However, other than some very limited exceptions, HE has dual-stacked
their entire enterprise, not just their backbone. All of our public facing
servers are fully dual-stacked with published AAAA records. Our
customers can freely run IPv4, IPv6, or both on our managed servers
and/or their own equipment in our colos. All of our IP connectivity
clients have access to dual-stack services, and, we actually provide
economic incentives for customers to do dual-stack rather than IPv4
only connections to us.

Migrating from IPv4 to dual stack isn't going to get significantly easier
by procrastinating at this point. It's only going to get more urgent.

Doing something hard on a schedule is hard.

Doing something hard in a rush because you failed to schedule it
is harder.

Owen