Only 5x IPv4 ... WRONG! :)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Oct 20 07:16:20 UTC 2010

On Oct 19, 2010, at 11:37 PM, George Bonser wrote:

> [...]
Most likely a program that parses a : as a host name indicator wouldn't
be able to handle the return of an AAAA record anyway. There
are code changes required for IPv6 support and it is unlikely that
any software which has been thus updated would have the
problem you describe.

> Now the problems with things like load balancing is real.  Our vendor
> supports front end v6 VIPs balanced to backend v4 servers, but it
> requires a code update that must be tested before deployment and an
> outage scheduled once it has been tested.  It isn't something that can
> just be thrown out there on a whim.

Sure, it lies somewhere between whim and major undertaking.
Where on that path depends on the quality of your vendors' support
for IPv6 and how early you start planning.

> The biggest cultural change is coming out of RFC1918 dungeons into the
> light of internet routable space and how people deal with that.  It will
> be a very interesting time for networks, their vendors, and the
> engineers/techs/administrators.

The light is good. Yes, it requires some adaptation if you've been
living in the darkness of 1918 space for some time, but, once you
adapt (and the adaptation is not that painful), it's actually a very
useful thing.

Owen