Enterprise DNS providers

Jeffrey Lyon jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net
Wed Oct 20 06:03:13 UTC 2010

It depends on the provider. Some are decently priced. Neustar /
UltraDNS is exponentially more expensive than their equally capable
competitors. I've seen they're pricing at $50 - 500 per 1M queries,
depending on how bad you are at negotiating. You'll need to spend at
least a few thousand per month to get below the $100 per 1M.

Pretty much everyone else is < $100 per 1M with much lower commits.

My major beef with Neustar, outside of stupid high pricing, is that
they changed the way all of their services were billed back in early
2009 and then arbitrarily applied the new overage calculations to
existing accounts, resulting in thousands of dollars in overage to the
account I had with them at the time. Their ethically questionable
sales staff used this as an opportunity to force an upgrade in order
to accommodate a "courtesy" fee waiver.

We're using Afilias now and the difference has been night and day.

Best regards, Jeff