Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Oct 19 18:10:57 UTC 2010

On 10/19/2010 11:53 AM, Schiller, Heather A (HeatherSkanks) wrote:
> 	HS: Where customers = spammers?  The only folks I have seen ask
> to do 'address rotation' have either been spammers or copyright
> monitoring services.  I have never seen a request for 'address rotation'
> to protect a customer from Google.  Wouldn't you just tell them not to
> use Google's services?  The *typical* residential user doesn't know and
> probably doesn't care whether their prefix is dynamic or static.

The typical resident often doesn't know, but when asked, they do want
privacy, and they don't want to be tracked by various databases for
marketing or geoIP tracking. Some customers prefer static, but to date,
the only reason customers have asked for static in v4 is because it was
necessary. If v6 continues to support application and design for
renumbering, such statics won't be necessary and I'll have even fewer
requests.

> 	Dynamic allocation of address space was, in part, meant to help
> conserve space - if the prefix was only needed for a couple hours, it
> could in theory be released and reused... allowing more efficient
> utilization of space.  Now though, with always-on connections and folks
> wanting to access their content remotely - it makes sense to statically
> allocate prefixes... and the availability of addresses in IPv6 gives us
> the room to do this.

With the new capabilities of multiple prefixes and renumbering
capabilities and the various methodologies which will be used to easily
switch between providers (or balance traffic between multiple providers
using multiple prefixes), rotating prefixes every 24 hours shouldn't be
a big deal. The customer will still gain remote access to their content,
while also remaining a moving target. Customer's care about privacy,
even when they don't realize if they truly have it or not.

M$ considered privacy extensions on by default to be a good thing. I'm
just extending it to the prefix. You can change nic cards as easily as
you change ISPs (easier out here, actually). As customers actually
notice or care that they are using v6, I'm sure I'll have more static
requests as well, which we'll probably automate.

Jack