Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

Ben Butler ben.butler at c2internet.net
Tue Oct 19 11:47:58 UTC 2010

Hi,

Maybe we should reserve the first couple of bits to serve as a planet identifier, so that once we have colonized the heavens Star Trek Federation style we can route to all of those Billions of life forms.

Routing convergence times shouldn’t be too much of an issue even with light version 1 (while we wait for FTL transport mechanisms) as I suspect there wont be too many interplanetary transit providers to have worry about in the routing mesh.

But again in all seriousness - surely this is a problem for the distant future (sadly and Stephen Hawking would agree about our species' need for colonization to ensure survival) and in the meantime we just get on as quickly as possible with getting IPv6 rolled out and adhering to standards of how we do it so we don't create yet another inconsistent mess with everyone following different "standard" best practices.

Ben