Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Oct 19 05:53:43 UTC 2010

  On 10/18/2010 7:16 PM, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
> You are to be commended for your leadership in conserving space.  Our
> children will surely be grateful that thanks to your efforts they have
> 99.99999% of IPv6 space left to work with rather than the paltry
> 99.9975% that might have been their inheritance were it not for your
> efforts.  Bravo!

Thanks. Actually, I think people are following the RIR example. ARIN
handed out a /32 as standard for an ISP, so a /32 is the framework even
a medium sized ISP will use.

Our routing/IP Numbering Plan:

/40 regional assignment supporting 256 regional assignments
/44 for only 16 pop assignments?
/48 to customer for only 16 customers per pop assignment?

Perhaps another view

/40 regional assignment supporting 256 regional assignments
/44 still for 16 pop assignments
/56 to customer for 4096 customer assignments

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't find a way to make /48 to customers work
appropriately, and ARIN seems to think a /32 is fair, yet I have to
design an IP assignment plan up front to make for more efficient
routing. I actually expect a /42-/43 per pop, and /38 per region even in
the /56 to customer model.

Jack