Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Oct 19 00:56:02 UTC 2010

Marshall Eubanks <tme at americafree.tv> writes:

> It makes a bigger difference if everyone starts using 6RD - to give
> out a /48 effectively requires a /16, and the number of /16s is by
> no means approximately infinite.

Don't I know it!  Poorly designed protocol, but what're we gonna do?
I was of the "a /56 was bad enough, don't let the standard
what-people-expect slip to a /60" school.  I'm pleased that the ARIN
AC passed 2010-12 with provision for getting a /24.  Keeps the damage
from getting worse.

But for native deployment, absolutely just provision the /48.

-r