Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

Franck Martin franck at genius.com
Mon Oct 18 21:15:21 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----

https://wiki.tools.isoc.org/IETF71_IPv4_Outage March 2008

Apricot 2008 was in Feb 2008

there was also an IPv6 hour at NANOG 42 in February 2008

But Russ spoke about it in 2007, knowing there will be resistance... And they must have been all talking to each others, so I'm not sure who to credit for the idea, but I can credit Russ for his IETF leadership in making it happen there.

ICANN had just put the glue in February.

Google decided to make it in time, seeing the opportunity and convergence of will.

Anyhow the year it all happened was 2008, there was a convergence of ideas.

So I would say since 2008 we have made great progress on IPv6 deployment, but we started very late...