Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

Franck Martin franck at genius.com
Mon Oct 18 20:38:21 UTC 2010

I'm an IPv6 pioneer, because I did it the year, you could really go IPv6 only. That was when ICANN put IPv6 glue in the root zone, which fell a few days before the IETF did an IPv4 blackout.

I thank Russ to come up with this IPv4 blackout, because it certainly encouraged ICANN to get its act and Google to do ipv6.google.com. I'm not sure which came first in this story, but for me IPv6 left research to production on that year. The problem it should have happened 5 years earlier, now everyone is struggling to catch up...

This is the year also IETF (and carriers, vendors,...) started to realize all the issues that were left to tackle.

People before that were Mavericks!