Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Mon Oct 18 18:41:09 UTC 2010

> You are confusing SI with Packet Filters. The technologies are
> different
> and it is, also, important to understand this distinction as well.

I don't think I am "confusing" the two.  I am saying that I have seen
people use them and think they are secure when they aren't.  IPv6 is
going to make it a little harder for people to make this mistake (or
easier to make it, I haven't decided yet which way it will go) and you
will see more people purchasing equipment that does real state
inspection which is my reason for predicting an increase in firewall
sales.  They won't have that dynamic NAT that lulls some into a false
sense of security.

Also, I believe the "fire suit" approach will become more important to
people rather than the "fire wall" approach with IPv6.