Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Oct 18 16:59:05 UTC 2010

On 10/18/2010 11:47 AM, Randy Carpenter wrote:

> Unfortunately, it is not as easy as that in practice.
>
> I recently worked with a customer that has ~60,000 customers
> currently. We tried to get a larger block, but were denied. ARIN said
> they would only issue a /32, unless immediate usage could be shown
> that required more than that. Their guidelines also state /56 for
> end-users. I am a big proponent of nibble boundaries, too. I think if
> you are too big to use only a /32, you should get a /28, /24, and so
> forth. It would make routing so much nicer to deal with.  /31 and
> such is just nasty.

ARIN does reservations (unsure at what length, but at least down to
/31). If you were to fill the /32 quickly, you could easily request the
next block. To my knowledge, they've only handed out 1 or 2 networks
shorter than /32.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 60,000 customers at /56 2^24
assignments from a /32? Seems plenty. Even at /48 assignments, you'd get
65,536 assignments. So how can you justify more than a /32?

Jack