Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Oct 17 14:58:52 UTC 2010

On Oct 16, 2010, at 5:22 PM, Franck Martin wrote:

> You give a /64 to the end users (home/soho), and /48 to multi homed organization (or bigger orgs that use more than one network internally) and get a /32 if you are an ISP.

Please DON'T do that. End users (home/soho) should get at least a /56 and ideally a /48. The standards and the RIR policies both allow for end-users/sites to get /48s.

If you are an ISP, you get AT LEAST a /32.

> See also the discussion about what to use in p2p links.

Yep. Personally, I like the /64 per subnet including p2p link approach. Others have different opinions.

Owen