How to have open more than 65k concurrent connections?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu Oct 14 16:53:21 UTC 2010

An incoming connection chews up an file descripter but does not require
an ephemeral port.

You can trivially have more that 65k incoming connections on a linux
box, but you've only got 64511 ports per ip  on the box, to use for
outgoing connections.

I've seen boxes supporting more than a million connections with tuning
in the course of normal operation.