neglected route-servers

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Oct 12 17:37:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010, Jon Lewis wrote:

> Guess what happens when you run a 7206VXR (NPE300) as a route server with 3
> full feeds?  It took me a minute to figure out why my routes that TWTelecom
> isn't supposed to see were showing up on route-server.twtelecom.net, but were
> seemingly randomly alternating between Network not in table and showing up.
>
> If anyone from TWTelecom is here, it's probably time to swap out that NPE300
> for something with more than 256MB RAM.  It's running out of RAM and
> resetting all the BGP sessions before they finish getting full routes.

Well, if nothing else, it's good to see this message woke someone up at
TWTelecom.  They seem to have done some magic (10 year old IOS:) to make 3
full views fit in an NPE300 with 32mb RAM to spare.

I finally got a call back on the ticket I opened with TWT yesterday
morning...last night at 11:30PM!...a good 11 hours after I'd resolved the
problem.  Good thing it wasn't important.

Apparently 65000:0 no longer works with them because they've become a
Level3 customer...so it wasn't a Level3 route leak "problem"...it was by
design.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |