Mobile Operator Connectivity

Ryan Finnesey ryan.finnesey at HarrierInvestments.com
Sun Oct 10 00:08:25 UTC 2010

I have been working on a similar project and I am finding it very hard
to get the mobile operators to understand why we want as little latency
as possible and they are not very open to people peering with their
"wireless" backbone.  I hope this will change with more and more
eyeballs going wireless.

-----Original Message-----
From: Holmes,David A [mailto:dholmes at mwdh2o.com]
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 9:42 PM
To: Seth Mattinen; nanog at nanog.org
Subject: RE: Mobile Operator Connectivity

Some large telcos with wireless and wireline operations in the US
maintain 2 separate backbones: one that I call "wired", that corresponds
to traditional wired access where commerce servers are usually located;
and one that I call a "wireless" backbone, where GSM/CDMA wireless
devices are used to aggregate access-layer traffic. Both backbones
consist of national fiber-optic, BGP-based networks. Surprisingly, some
large telcos have a presence of both wireline and wireless backbones in
the same colos, but the 2 backbone networks are interconnected, not in
that colo, but at a single geographic location (with perhaps a single
hot standby interconnection site), located, for example in northern
Virginia.

So, the worst case is that if the servers and GSM/CDMA devices are
located in Southern California, even though the telco has a wireline and
wireless presence in the local LA colo, GSM/CDMA access-layer traffic
must traverse the continental US to northern Virginia and back to get to
the server.