New hijacking - Done via via good old-fashioned Identity Theft

Sven Olaf Kamphuis sven at cb3rob.net
Thu Oct 7 12:10:37 UTC 2010

we have run a simular system for a while, the problem is still with
mailinglists and online shops

(by lack of a standardised field the password was put anywhere in the
email, all email not containing a password was rejected with a message to
call sales)

a) you print unique passwords on each businesscard, and simply give them
to your clients through other means (sales telephone number, etc)

b) there is no O(N^2) scaling. you currently have an email address, and
maybe a name for everyone you want to email in your address book, or your
database, all thats required is another field with the password they gave
you.

c) totally fine, with us, it stopped 100% of all undesired email (normally
1500 a day just for me alone ;)

If what you're asking under point c is "what happens if a system that
contains such a password for your email address gets compromised" the
answer is simple, you remove that specific password from your approved
passwords list (note that on the receiver side, the password is not linked
to the source email address, senders can use any source email address they
want, as long as one of the currently active/accepted passwords is in the
email)

remaining problems with this system are:
by lack of a standard header for Password: which should be supported by
all clients, address books, online shops, mailinglists, we put the
password in the email, which means, that on Cc:'s and forwards etc
the password got forwarded along with the email, potentially giving other
people the password too.

Now, this is -100%- spam stopping, smtp can be as open relay and you want,
the internet can be full of compromised windows boxes chunking out tons of
crap, but you won't get any spam, just mail from people YOU choose to deal
with, by actively -giving- them a password yourself, which you can also
-revoke-.

(the initial contact, the equivalent of "accept contact" in skype simply
needs to be done through other channels, but really, people that don't know
you have no business mailing you anyway ;)

We have been watching these so-called "spam fighters" for a while now, and
all they managed to do over the past 20 years or so is completely fuck up
the smtp protocol itself, first they fucked up the concept of open relays,
then it was stupid and unnessesary delays (graylisting), then there were
all kinds of blacklists run by arrogant fools that gladly blacklisted all
of level 3 because of one spammer, etc, and you still got spammed, and
still get spammed today.

If i have to wait for 20 minutes for an email, i've started skype
already.. You know what, why don't we simply turn the smtp servers -off-
and use skype and msn for everything... saves electricity :P

It may be a bit too late to fix the protocol itself to be real-time and
peer-to-peer again, but this time without spam ofcourse, as the market has
been flooded with better protocols already anyway (the problem with these
however is that they're propriatory and vendor dependant).

--
Greetings,

Sven Olaf Kamphuis,
CB3ROB Ltd. & Co. KG
Address: Koloniestrasse 34         VAT Tax ID:      DE267268209
          D-13359                   Registration:    HRA 42834 B
          BERLIN                    Phone:           +31/(0)87-8747479
          Germany                   GSM:             +49/(0)152-26410799
RIPE:    CBSK1-RIPE                e-Mail:          sven at cb3rob.net
<penpen> C3P0, der elektrische Westerwelle

Confidential: Please be advised that the information contained in this
email message, including all attached documents or files, is privileged
and confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or
individuals addressed. Any other use, dissemination, distribution or