Facebook down!! Alert!

david raistrick drais at icantclick.org
Wed Oct 6 21:05:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, david raistrick wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, Andrew Kirch wrote:
>
>> No, the majority does not define what "operational" means.  Facebook is
>> not a mission critical internet resource (such as a fiber cut, power
>
> not a mission critical internet resource -to you-

to be clear, I could give a damn about if we talk about this on nanog or
not. (and I agree that outages is the right place to announce outages,
and outage-discuss to discuss them).

my point is that facebook has moved beyond being a pure content provider,
and (much like, say, google) provide both content AND service.   I have
dependancies on facebook's (as do many many others who perhaps dont yet
hire folks who even know what nanog is but someday will) services.
without them, my teams can't work and my employeer loses signiicant
figures of revenue per day.

so facebook is very much operationally relevant for my network, and that
these mixed content/service providers will be more and more relevant as
time goes on and we as a community should figure out how to deal with
their transition from pure content to perhaps some day pure service.

--
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
drais at icantclick.org             http://www.expita.com/nomime.html