ILNP and DNS (from 2010.10.04 NANOG50 day 1 morning notes)

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Oct 5 20:43:18 UTC 2010

On 10/5/2010 2:03 PM, Michael Sinatra wrote:

> The issue is how should I deal with the situation that you need to know
> the correct L64 record to get to my network (without waiting for a
> timeout if you try the broken prefix first) and the way to know what the
> correct prefixes are is to query a nameserver that's in my network. But
> to get to my network, you need to know the correct L64 record...etc. So
> I need to keep nameservers out of my network or have the ability to
> update an L64 "glue" record on-the-fly in the parent (which also implies
> a very low ttl on the parent L64 glue record).

My recommendation is that you assign multiple networks. I realize this
will possibly take the nameservers out of the ILNP space, but it is the
effective method. Then you can reference the nameservers by both
addresses, and one timing out will still get you to the other.

I'm not up to speed on ILNP, but I'd presume that dual addressing would
be required for this to handle failures (if you wanted all nameservers
to respond at all times).

Jack