ILNP and DNS (from 2010.10.04 NANOG50 day 1 morning notes)

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 5 19:03:41 UTC 2010

On 10/5/10 9:52 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Tony Finch<dot at dotat.at>  wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Michael Sinatra wrote:
>>>
>>> Hence the question: How should I provision authoritative DNS servers,
>>> given that the prefix information is provided via DNS--including the
>>> prefix information for the DNS servers themselves--leading to a
>>> chicken-and-egg problem.  In addition, I would assume that I need
>>> something similar to glue records (instead of A or AAAA glue, I need L64
>>> or LP glue).
>>
>> Isn't glue the answer to your question? Your name servers get their
>> prefixes from the networks they are connected to, and they do dynamic
>
> If i have my NS in my network, which is 'ILNP enabled' (if there would
> be such a thing), I think Michael's question is ... how do I tell DNS
> where my NS is if my NS is moving and doesn't have a single long-lived
> stable address ?
>
> Some of the answer may be: "Don't do that!", or "plan your moves
> properly, follow rfcXXXX which shows steps and timing to migrate an NS
> device/pair/set from network attachment point to network attachment
> point".

If I am multi-homed and my NS is in my ILNP-enabled network, then it is
subject to "moving" at any time.  If I lose an upstream due to a sudden
failure (such as a link failure), then I need to signal that the lost
upstream's prefix should no longer be used.  This requires a DDNS update
to my L64 record(s).

The issue is how should I deal with the situation that you need to know
the correct L64 record to get to my network (without waiting for a
timeout if you try the broken prefix first) and the way to know what the
correct prefixes are is to query a nameserver that's in my network.  But
to get to my network, you need to know the correct L64 record...etc.  So
I need to keep nameservers out of my network or have the ability to
update an L64 "glue" record on-the-fly in the parent (which also implies
a very low ttl on the parent L64 glue record).

michael