ILNP and DNS (from 2010.10.04 NANOG50 day 1 morning notes)

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 16:52:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Michael Sinatra wrote:
>>
>> Hence the question: How should I provision authoritative DNS servers,
>> given that the prefix information is provided via DNS--including the
>> prefix information for the DNS servers themselves--leading to a
>> chicken-and-egg problem.  In addition, I would assume that I need
>> something similar to glue records (instead of A or AAAA glue, I need L64
>> or LP glue).
>
> Isn't glue the answer to your question? Your name servers get their
> prefixes from the networks they are connected to, and they do dynamic

If i have my NS in my network, which is 'ILNP enabled' (if there would
be such a thing), I think Michael's question is ... how do I tell DNS
where my NS is if my NS is moving and doesn't have a single long-lived
stable address ?

Some of the answer may be: "Don't do that!", or "plan your moves
properly, follow rfcXXXX which shows steps and timing to migrate an NS
device/pair/set from network attachment point to network attachment
point".

-chris