do you use SPF TXT RRs? (RFC4408)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Oct 4 20:30:55 UTC 2010

On Oct 4, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

> On 10/04/2010 10:05 AM, John Adams wrote:
>> We've seen percentage gains when signing with DK, and we carefully
>> monitor our mail acceptance percentages with ReturnPath. It's around
>> 4-6%. I'd like to stop using it, but some people still check DK.
>
> Sigh. I was hoping not to hear that. It's been about 5 years since
> the issue of rfc4871. It might be helpful to name and shame.
>
> Mike

At least in that case, the spammer has to have control of the sending domain.
SPF is not intended to protect from that case. It is intended to protect from the
case where spammers Joe-job domains they can't control.

Removing a few points probably isn't a bad idea so long as you have a list of
domains for which points should be added.

Owen