do you use SPF TXT RRs? (RFC4408)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Oct 4 18:48:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Greg Whynott <Greg.Whynott at oicr.on.ca> wrote:
> A partner had a security audit done on their site.
>The report said they were at risk of a DoS due to
>the fact they didn't have a SPF record.
>
> how many of you are using SPF records?  Do you
> have an opinion on their use/non use of?

I use your SPF records (if you offer any) to prevent my servers from
slamming your servers with backscatter from someone forging your
address and sending me undeliverable email. Without SPF records,
you'll receive an undeliverable report for messages "from" you that I
can't deliver -- just like the RFC says I "must."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004