A New TransAtlantic Cable System

Rod Beck Rod.Beck at hiberniaatlantic.com
Mon Oct 4 17:07:43 UTC 2010

Hi Frank,

Yes it does include all the O-E conversions. By the way, my recollection is the undersea regenerators do purely optical regeneration. There is no O-E conversions undersea, only at the landing stations and terrestrial components.

Since the system is just in the planning stage, the latency estimate is conversative. It is better to surprise than disappoint ...

   Hi All.
   It appears we're discussing theoretical limits of silica-based glass
   here. The Press Release assertion talks about what a trader might
   experience. Hm. I would ask Rob Beck to clarify this point and inform
   whether the stated objective in the release accounts for the many o-e
   and e-o conversions on the overland part of the end-to-end trader
   connection, including the handoffs that occur in the NY and London
   metros.  I  know that terrestrially, i.e., here in the US, some
   brokerage firms and large banks (is there any longer a distinction
   between those two today?:) have used their clout to secure links that
   are virtually entirely optical in nature on routes that are under a
   thousand miles, but this is not an option on a submarine system
   that's intrinsically populated with electronics, never mind the tail
   sections that assume multiple service providers getting into the act.
   Rob? Anyone?
   FAC