[ncc-services-wg] RPKI Resource Certification: building features

mkarir mkarir at merit.edu
Mon Oct 4 12:37:35 UTC 2010

Hi Alex,

We are trying to tackle a similar problem with the RADB.  The approach
we have
taken is to build into the object management web portal an alerting
system that
provides alerts to a user when there is a mismatch between what is in
the IRR
and what is observed in BGP.  Right next to the alert will be a button
that
they can click on to "fix" their own IRR information or to flag an
object
as "conflict - needs review" to allow Merit to manually review and
resolve
conflicting IRR information.  If it indeed is a hijack then they can
take other
steps.

A second piece of this is a historical origin database we have built
where we
attempt to learn from history what a valid origin might be for a given
prefix.
Lots of complications here with moas and newly announced prefixes but
some
heuristics can help here.  Once again this db becomes a source of
validation
information like the IRR database.  Not for use in rejecting/accepting
routes but for generating alerts that allow a user to fix/monitor their
routing assets.

So in both these cases we take what is reported in BGP and compare it
with
sources of possible validation and generates alerts for users on
mismatches.

The final piece of the puzzle which is a link with roa is something that
we are still working on integrating into the RADB.  The piece that is
currently in place add roa-uri tag to irrd which allows a user to
specify in the IRR a URI pointer to a roa for that prefix.  Currently
we dont use it in any validation.  However we have a modified
rpki-whois that at the end of the whois query will perform roa
validation
and tell the user whether the roa was valid or in in addition to the
usual whois reponse.

-manish