A New TransAtlantic Cable System

Jon Meek meekjt at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 14:31:33 UTC 2010

One of the ways that I have tormented WAN vendors over the years is
with a plot of RTT vs. great circle distance between the end points of
a circuit. Most RTTs usually sit at some constant offset above that
Physics limit straight line. Circuits taking a less than ideal have
their RTT far above the Physics limit line and we have used that
information to get routes fixed.

Using my great circle program that accounts for the non-spherical
Earth for locations we have West of London and North of NYC, assuming
a 1.5 index of refraction I get:

One way distance: 5520.6 km   Round Trip Delay: 55.2 ms

So Heath's estimate is right on, although depending on where he got
the distance maybe it does account for the shape of the Earth.

Jon