AT&T Dry Pairs?

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Fri Oct 1 17:58:30 UTC 2010

We order these all of the time ( as a CLEC) for EoC connections or DSL on our equipment.  The correct terminology is usually 2-wire or 4-wire copper loops.  There will be specific NC/NCI codes depending on the iLEC region you are in and LEC you are working with.

 Within these loops, you will generally see at least the following "types" of circuits, normally these are really just different levels of qualifications the LEC is required to meet on the copper they provide (in terms of noise, attenuation, load coils, and # feet of bridge tap):
HDSL (best)
ADSL
UCL (Unbundled copper loop - worst)

Now the main issue is that these circuits are normally provisioned between a CO and an end-user location.  I don't know if you'd be able to get them directly between two sites that are not ATT facilities without going back to the CO first (greatly increasing total loop length and probably decreasing max DSL speeds).

The other thing to know is that in "busy" CO's, some of these line types (especially the higher quality loops) may be "blacklisted" meaning you either can't order them at all, or you can order them a different way at a much higher rate.

The last issue I can think of is that you may not be able to get these at all from ATT's retail or business side of the house.  If that is the case, find a local CLEC and see if they will help you out.

	-Scott