Using crypto auth for detecting corrupted IGP packets?

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Fri Oct 1 04:16:58 UTC 2010

On Sep 30, 2010, at 11:34 PM, Manav Bhatia wrote:

> I would be interested in knowing if operators use the cryptographic
> authentication for detecting the errors that i just described above.

Additionally, one might venture to understand the effects of such mechanisms and
why knob's such as IS-IS's "ignore-lsp-errors" were added ~15 years ago.  LSP
corruption storms driven by receivers that purge corrupted LSPs and originators that
re-originate and flood on receipt of said purged LSPs are very problematic and
otherwise difficult to identify in practice.

Coincidentally, it's also why logging LSPs that trigger such errors is important, whether
you ignore them or propagate them.

-danny