Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast'sActions

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Nov 30 06:52:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Owen DeLong wrote:

> pay for domestic. (If any of you cellular companies are listening, that's
> right, I'd be willing to pay ~$250/month for global unlimited voice/data
> and my usage would not increase very much above what you're already
> providing). I also happen to know that I'm not the only consumer that
> would very much like to be able to purchase this kind of service.

Considering there are mobile roaming partners that charge USD10-15 per
megabyte, unfortunately that proposition is really hard to do in todays
global market.

The EU has regulated roaming prices within the EU because this just didn't
work "right" in the free market:

<http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/roaming/regulation/index_en.htm>

It's still way too high, but the global roaming market is "interesting"
and I'm sure european mobile operators will still charge carriers outside
of the EU a lot more than this because of the good old "because we can and
most do".

So your action to not use roaming is the best way to handle it, personally
I get local SIM card in the country I go to and have two phones when I'm
travelling. It's the only sensible way to handle the current situation.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se