experience with equinix exchange

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Nov 29 21:03:21 UTC 2010

On Nov 29, 2010, at 2:54 PM, Bill Woodcock wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 04:09:55PM -0600, Aaron Wendel wrote:
>>> According to pch they don't run most of them.  I would say they run
>>> very few compared to how many there actually are.
>>
>> Uhh... Reality check, with the S&D acquisition Equinix controls the VAST
>> majority of the IX traffic in the US. The only other IX's doing anything
>> even approaching interesting traffic are NOTA (in Miami), NYIIX (in New
>> York), SIX (in Seattle), and the former AtlantaIX (now Telx TIE) in
>> Atlanta. All are regional players, with very incomplete coverage of the
>> important regions in the US, so if you're peering in the US you're
>> almost guaranteed to be dealing with Equinix.
>
> I might not state things quite as strongly as RAS, but yes, in essence, that's how things stand.  There's a very long tail to the IXP curve, but nearly all of the traffic volume in North America is going through Equinix-operated facilities, at this point.  RAS has mentioned the main other ones, and I'd probably only add Toronto and CoreSite to the list.

The only thing I would change is that Any2 has at least one exchange with traffic (Los Angeles) and is distributed throughout the country.

But the vast majority of traffic exchange over IXes in the US is over Equinix/PAIX switches.  And a very large amount of traffic over private interconnects is also done in their buildings.

--
TTFN,
patrick