Cogent announcing more specific prefixes?

Knight, Brian Brian.Knight at us.mizuho-sc.com
Fri Nov 26 04:54:08 UTC 2010

We received Cyclops alerts for one of our /24's.  It claimed that the prefix
was being announced by a provider in Hong Kong.  Our alerts fired between
10:36:30 and 10:40:36 UTC today, 2010-11-25.  The longest time period that
any alert was active was 2m 58s.

All appears to be well at this moment; the prefix is not being announced by
that provider according to routeviews.org.

It is highly unusual for us to receive alerts.  We have only 5x /24 networks
being monitored.  Given that you received similar alerts less than 1.5 hr
later, I wonder if this was a systemic problem.

-Brian Knight
Sr. Network Engineer
Mizuho Securities USA Inc
http://www.mizuho-sc.com/

* Please note that all NANOG list members and archive readers may consider
themselves Recipients of this message, in reference to the appended
disclaimer.  (I don't add it myself and can't control it, sorry.)

CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail, including its contents and attachments,
if any, are confidential. It is neither an offer to buy or sell,
nor a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, any securities or
any related financial instruments mentioned in it. If you are not
the named recipient please notify the sender and immediately delete
it. You may not disseminate, distribute, or forward this e-mail
message or disclose its contents to anybody else. Unless otherwise
indicated, copyright and any other intellectual property rights in
its contents are the sole property of Mizuho Securities USA Inc.
     E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
error-free. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as
a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification is required
please request a hard-copy version.
     Although we routinely screen for viruses, addressees should
check this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. We make no
representation or warranty as to the absence of viruses in this
e-mail or any attachments. Please note that to ensure regulatory
compliance and for the protection of our customers and business, we
may monitor and read e-mails sent to and from our server(s).