Jumbo frame Question

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Nov 26 00:26:25 UTC 2010

> From: Harris Hui <harris.hui at hk1.ibm.com>
> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 08:13:57 +0800
>
> Hi
>
> Does anyone have experience on design / implementing the Jumbo frame
> enabled network?
>
> I am working on a project to better utilize a fiber link across east coast
> and west coast with the Juniper devices.
>
> Based on the default TCP windows in Linux / Windows and the latency between
> east coast and west coast (~80ms) and the default MTU size 1500, the
> maximum throughput of a single TCP session is around ~3Mbps but it is too
> slow for us to backing-up the huge amount of data across 2 sites.
>
> The following is the topology that we are using right now.
>
> Host A NIC (MTU 9000) <--- GigLAN ---> (MTU 9216) Juniper EX4200 (MTU 9216)
> <---GigLAN ---> (MTU 9018) J-6350 cluster A (MTU 9018) <--- fiber link
> across site ---> (MTU 9018) J-6350 cluster B (MTU 9018) <--- GigLAN --->
> (MTU 9216) Juniper EX4200 (MTU 9216) <---GigLAN ---> (MTU 9000) NIC - Host
>
> I was trying to test the connectivity from Host A to the J-6350 cluster A
> by using ICMP-Ping with size 8000 and DF bit set but it was failed to ping.
>
> Does anyone have experience on it? please advise.
>
> Thanks :-)

MTU is only one issue. System tuning and a clean path are also
critical. Getting good data streams between two systems that far apart
is not easy, but with reasonable effort you can get 300 to 400 Mbps.

If an 8000 byte ping fails, that says that SOMETHING is not jumbo
enabled, but it's hard to tell what. This assumes that no firewall or
other device is blocking ICMP, but I assume that 1400 byte pings
work. Try hop-by-hop tests.

I should also mention that some DWDM gear needs to be configured to
handle jumbos. We've been bitten by that. You tend to assume that layer
1 gear won't care about layer 2 issues, but the input is an Ethernet
interface.

Finally, host tuning is critical. You talk about "default" window size",
but modern stack auto-tune window size. For lots of information on
tuning and congestion management, see http://fasterdata.es.net. We move
terabytes of data between CERN and the US and have to make sure that the
10GE links run at close to capacity and streams of more than a Gbps will
work. (It's not easy.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)