Blocking International DNS

Joe Sniderman joseph.sniderman at thoroquel.org
Sun Nov 21 20:32:45 UTC 2010

On 11/19/2010 03:45 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> It seems that the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act
> (COICA) passed through the Senate Judiciary Committee with a
> unanimous (!) vote :
>
> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/11/pirate-slaying-censorship-bill-gets-unanimous-support.ars
>
>  http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-3804
>
> I claim operational content for this as, on the basis of court
> orders, i..e. a
>
> "temporary restraining order, a preliminary injunction, or an
> injunction against the domain name used by an Internet site dedicated
> to infringing activities"
>
> it requires that, for foreign domain names,
>
> "(i) a service provider, as that term is defined in section 512(k)(1)
> of title 17, United States Code, or other operator of a domain name
> system server shall take reasonable steps that will prevent a domain
> name from resolving to that domain name’s Internet protocol
> address;"

So I suppose operation of a recursor requires one to check with the
government to see what names its okay to resolve.. They can have my dns
recursor when they pry it from my cold dead hands. Otherwise no.

/me waits for the knock at the door and the yell of "Search warrant, we
hear you're running an uncensored BIND"

--
Joe Sniderman <joseph.sniderman at thoroquel.org>