Introducing draft-denog-v6ops-addresspartnaming

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat Nov 20 23:05:30 UTC 2010

On 11/20/10 2:20 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2010, at 9:12 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Richard Hartmann
>> <richih.mailinglist at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> this would
>>> still make it hard for humans to detect an IPv6 address at a glance,
>>> makes it impossible to quickly pick out any sections that are more
>>> relevant at the moment
>>
>> Which is why you wouldn't conventionally remove the colons even though
>> the format would allow it. You might, however, move the colons to
>> highlight the delineations relevant to a particular address rather
>> than the meaningless two-byte separation.
>>
> How do you propose to get the router to regurgitate this?

Since I've been reading old drafts recently I think we can thank mike
o'dell for the term "routing goop". the problem of course is you can't
distinguish which part of the routing goop is signficant (to the humans)
unless you have an apriori mapping. otherwise all you have is some goop
and a mask which together are a route.