Why is your company treating IPv6 turn ups as a sales matter?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Nov 19 08:58:41 UTC 2010

On 11/18/10 2:24 PM, George, Wes E [NTK] wrote:

> [WES] Because in most companies, sales owns the direct relationship with the
> customer, so when they ask about a new feature or service, they work with
> sales, and sales gets the right technical folks involved. A clarification
> that is probably important here: "a sales matter" != "extra charges for
> IPv6" at least at my employer,...

And therein lies the problem.  By punting technical provisioning tasks
to sales, if it is != "extra charges", you're virtually guaranteeing
that the sales people won't put any effort into making it happen.

Salespeople are driven by commissions (carrot) and quotas (stick).  When
salespeople have to divide their time between tasks that don't
contribute to commission or quota and those that do, guess which gets
done first and which last.

I'm not pointing fingers at Sprint or Wes.  This is a generic problem.
We've been guilty of it too from time to time.  If it's a matter of data
entry or filling out a form, have a secretary do it or make the form
available online.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net