IPv6 Space Management. Tracking, not Allocating

Mike Oliver mwoliver at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 17:48:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 12:41, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
> On 17/11/2010 18:30, Greg Whynott wrote:
>>
>> IPPlan does this fairly well for ipv4 space,  and they have recently added
>> ipv6.
>
> Good to hear they've added ipv6 support.  Here's the old IPTrack FAQ entry
> for IPv6 support.  It seems to have been updated quite recently.
>
> --
> Q: I want feature X implemented and I want it NOW!/I want IPv6 support added
>
> A: My time is limited and as I am the only developer actively working on
> IPplan, only features that are of use to me or are interesting to code up
> will get added quickly. Other requests will probably get added to the TODO
> but will receive no attention. One feature request that comes up from time
> to time is IPv6. Adding IPv6 support will require major effort but has such
> a limited audience. Ironically the only people that ever requested IPv6
> support are either from Telcos, ISP’s or government departments, yet they
> are never interested in contributing resources! I deam them parasites of the
> Open Source world - leaching off the good will and effort of the Open Source
> community, yet give nothing in return.

I had replied to Chip directly but will post it out here now as well.
If you go with IPplan then you want to get the latest from CVS/SVN as
there have been some patches applied that fix some bits with IPv6
free-space searching and also with utilization calculations.  If you
just download the 6.00-BETA2 package then you would also want to grab
the patch I posted to the bug tracker.  Enjoy, I do.

--
Mike Oliver, KT2T
+1-863-738-2334
kt2t at arrl.net -or- mwoliver at gmail.com