The i-root china reroute finally makes fox news. And congress.

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Wed Nov 17 06:17:13 UTC 2010

On Nov 17, 2010, at 1:08 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/16/internet-traffic-reportedly-routed-chinese-servers/

I have read the article and the list, and I'm puzzled. It's pretty clear that the root gets its records from a common source, and that the copies of them being delivered by a given root server were different. As a result, traffic intended to go place A went to place B if the TLD lookup happened to go to the particular root server in question. How did an instance of the root server find itself serving changed records? While there is no obvious indication of who made the change or for what reason, it's unlikely it was accidental.

Not sure what Glenn Beck, Fox News, or Godwin's Law have to do with it. There was a technical event that resulted in misrouting of traffic, and while international concerns regarding it had political overtones, the technical event is not a political one. If it was your traffic that had been misrouted, you might have issued expressions of concern. So why respond to it with a political response?

Sounds to me like one of the arguments for DNSSEC deployment...