OT: VM slicing and dicing

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Nov 16 17:06:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010, Brandon Kim wrote:

> The issue is that I'm looking for an application that is as turnkey as
> possible, even if it's a little bit more. That "could" be vCloud
> Director, I don't know yet....

Hi Brandon.  Turnkey is a relative term - relative to the experience and
knowledge level of those operating the system.  I've used a lot of
virtualisation systems and these days consider most of them pretty much
turnkey (commercial and OSS alike).  Really, you install them, setup
networking and install some virtual boxes.  Options like OpenVZ come with
precooked images that you can start with so you don't even need to do an
install if you don't want to.

Anything as complicated as virtualisation is always going to have some
learning curve though.

> But I do know that if we have to invest in writing a lot of custom
> scripts to get what we want, then we don't have the resources for
> that....

Most of the virtualisation systems I've setup are operated by the
sysadmins from the cli.   I often write custom scripts to wrapper
functions but in reality these are often very short, sometimes just a few
lines long.

BTW I think this would be a perfect topic for a SAGE or LOPSA list.  If
you're involved in this sort of work then you may wish to consider joining
one or both of these organisations and participating in the lists.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert at timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440