Current trends in capacity planning and oversubscription

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Nov 13 17:37:32 UTC 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:52:20 EST, Sean Donelan said:

> The difference is the people using LHC data usually have someone who can
> figure out network capacity planning, while the people in an
> administrative school office may not have anyone.
>
> So what is a reasonable network capacity for 1,000 students now and in 5
> years.

Just as LHC people and a school are different, I'm willing to bet that bandwidth
"requirements" per student are different based on the school and its policies,
and that they're to a large extent self-fullfilling.

The "requirement" at a small liberal arts school with a fascist network usage
policy "we block all bittorrent and any protocols we don't understand (i.e.
most of them), and no network access in the dorms", will be different from a
large engineering school that says "We'll provide bandwidth so you can explore,
experiment, and learn, and we'll let you know if you're named in a copyright
complaint".

So "reasonable" bandwidth ends up depending on what the network admin thinks
"reasonable" use of the network is...