Low end, cool CPE.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Nov 12 15:30:49 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:10:30AM -0500, Jason Lewis wrote:
> Everytime I'm in the market for a device like you describe, it comes
> down to the limitations of consumer devices.  You can't get all those
> things in a low cost solution.  I end up rolling my own.  My latest
> system is this http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-PHF.cfm

Exactly my stock system. Apparently, there's a version which doesn't
need a slot spacer, and has frontally accessible ports:

http://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/server-systeme/1HE-rack-server/1HE-intel-single-cpu/intel-dual-atom-d510-single-cpu-cse513-server.html

Aye, that's the rub: no ECC memory. But nice enough
IPMI.

> , with Endian http://endian.com/en/community/download/ and an
> additional dual port nic.  With all the parts (HD,NIC) it's under
> $400.
>
> It's an atom board, so you could put whatever you wanted on it.  I
> have a 50mbps net connection and it doesn't have any issues.

Works well on GBit/s as well. I haven't measured the throughput
yet, though. Should be ~500 MBit/s, assuming a single Atom core
is about equivalent to a Pentium 3 at the same frequency.